Where to Place
- Areas where Wi-Fi is mission critical and should be monitored 24×7
- Remote locations that are time consuming to reach in-person
- Busy areas with high user density and traffic
- Multi-floor buildings, at least one Eye per floor and at least one Eye per VLAN / switch per floor
- Areas where users often complain about poorly performing Wi-Fi
- If you need assistance on where to place, let us know, we’re here to help!
The coverage radius of a Sapphire Eye 2200 is approximately 20m/65ft in an office space with walls and furniture, 45m/150ft in an open space. Keep in mind that the Sapphire Eye 2200’s RSSI is 5-7 dB higher than a normal laptop’s Wi-Fi antenna. The Sapphire Eye 250 has a similar RSSI to that of a laptop.
|Environment||Density of AP’s||1 Sapphire Eye 250 unit for every…||1 Sapphire Eye 2200 unit for every…|
|Warehouses, distribution centers, retail stores, cafes, manufacturing facilities||Low||1-2 access points||3-4 access points|
|Office environments, hospitals, hotels, shopping malls||Medium||2-3 access points||4-6 access points|
|Auditoriums, stadiums, libraries, concert halls, airports, convention centers||High||3-4 access points||6-8 access points|
Installation Best Practices
- Use PoE 802.3af to power up the Sapphire Eye, or an external power adapter if OTA (over-the-air) mode will be used.
- Place in the most centralized location to maximize the coverage of one Eye.
- Sapphire Eye 2200 units are best mounted to the ceiling using the mounting brackets provided. They may also be placed on top of furniture or shelves if a ceiling mount is not possible.
- Sapphire Eye 250 units are best to install at human elevation, for example under seats, on shelves, under tables or on the wall.
- If possible, use site survey results to determine best locations for Sapphire Eyes to maximize coverage.
- Avoid metallic surfaces when installing Sapphire Eyes. Minimum recommended distance from a metal structure is 2m/6ft.
- Minimum distance from an AP is at least 1m/3ft.
- For areas with high ceilings (more than 5 meters/15 feet), install Sapphire Eyes to same elevation as APs, or slightly below if possible.
- Do not rotate the Eyes after the installation.
- Use NEMA enclosures if environmental aspects require it. Please note that these are custom products.
Example of Sapphire Eye Placement
5 Sapphire Eye 2200 units (ceiling mount) covering 22 AP’s at university student center.